541 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Post-Doc Opening #2
Post-Doc Opening #3
Dr Kaoumi’s research interests are in developing a mechanistic understanding of microstructure-property relationships, with an emphasis on microstructure evolution under harsh environment (i.e. irradiation, high temperature, and mechanical stress) and how it can impact macroscopic properties and performance. Materials of interest include metallic systems such as nanocrystalline and nanostructured metallic systems, advanced alloys for structural and cladding applications in advanced nuclear systems (Austenitic steels , Advanced Ferritic/Martensitic Steels, Nanostructured Oxide-Dispersion-Strengthened (ODS) Steels), and High-temperature Ni-based alloys. By understanding the basic mechanisms of degradation of materials at the nanostructure level, it will be possible to predict the materials performance and to design for better alloys. Characterization techniques of predilection include In-situ irradiation in TEM (over 12 years of experience), In-situ straining in a TEM, XRD, Synchrotron XRD, SEM.
- Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2007
- M.S., Nuclear Engineering, University of Florida, 2001
- B.S., Physics, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, France, 2000
- 2013 recipient of the ANS MSTD Student Literary Award for the paper entitled: “Tensile Behavior of Inconel 617 vs. Haynes 230: Effects of Temperature and Strain Rate”, Transactions of the American Nuclear Society,109, 2013.
- College of Engineering Dean’s Fellowship (2002, 2003, 2004)
- National engineering honor society Tau Beta Pi
- Nuclear-engineering honor society Alpha Nu Sigma
- D. Kaoumi, K. Hrutkay, “Tensile deformation behavior and microstructure evolution of Ni-based superalloy 617”, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 454, 2014, p 265-273.
- D. Kaoumi, J. Adamson, “Self-Ordered Defect Structures in F/M Steels Under Ion Irradiation”, Journal of Nuclear Materials, 448: p 233-238, 2014.
- K. Hrutkay, D Kaoumi, “Tensile Deformation Behavior of a Nickel-based Superalloy at Different Temperatures”, Journal of Materials Science and Engineering A, 599, 2014, p 196–203.
- D Kaoumi, J. Adamson, M. Kirk, "Microstructure Evolution of Two Model Ferritic/Martensitic Steels under In-situ Ion Irradiation at low doses (0-2dpa)" Journal of Nuclear Materials, 445 (1–3): p. 12–19, 2014.
- K. Hrutkay, D Kaoumi, "Tensile Behavior of Inconel 617 vs. Haynes 230: Effects of Temperature and Strain Rate" Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 109, 2013.
- J. Goddard, D Kaoumi, "Precipitate Characterization in Two ODS Steels using Synchrotron XRD of Consolidated Samples and Cu-Ká XRD of Precipitate Extractions" Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 109, 2013.
- D Kaoumi, M Kirk, T Faney, B Wirth and J Bentley, "In-situ TEM Studies of Microstructure Evolution under Ion Irradiation for Nuclear Engineering Applications", Microscopy and Microanalysis, 16, 2, 2010.
- J. Bentley, D.T. Hoelzer, J.T. Busby, A.G. Certain, T.R. Allen, D Kaoumi, A.T. Motta, and M.A. Kirk, "TEM Characterization of Crept and Irradiated Nano-structured Ferritic Alloys" Microscopy and Microanalysis, 15, 2, 2009.
- M. A. Kirk, P. M. Baldo, A. C. Y. Liu, E. A. Ryan, R. C. Birtcher, Z. Yao, S. Xu, M. L. Jenkins, M. Hernandez-Mayoral, D Kaoumi and A. Motta, "In-situ TEM and Ion Irradiation of Ferritic Materials" Microscopy and Research Technique, 72, 3, pages 182–186, 2009.
- D Kaoumi, A. Motta, R. Birtcher, "A Thermal Spike Model of Grain Growth under Irradiation" Journal of Applied Physics, 104, 7, 2008.
- D Kaoumi, A. Motta, R. Birtcher, "Influence of alloying elements on grain-growth in Zr(Fe) and Cu(Fe) thin-films under in situ ion irradiation", Journal of Nuclear Materials, 382, 2-3, 2008.
- D Kaoumi, A. T. Motta, and M. Kirk, "Characterization and In-Situ Ion-Irradiation of MA957 ODS Steel". Transactions of the American Nuclear Society, 98, 1, 2008, Anaheim, CA.
- D Kaoumi, A. Motta, and R.C. Birtcher, "Grain Growth in Nanocrystalline Metal Thin-Films under In Situ Ion-Beam Irradiation". Journal of ASTM International, 4, 8, 2007.
- D Kaoumi, A. Motta, and R.C. Birtcher, "Irradiation-Enhanced Second-Phase Precipitation in Zr-Fe Nanocrystalline Thin Films". in Mater. Res. Soc. Symp., 908E, Boston, 2006.
- D Kaoumi, A.T. Motta, and R.C. Birtcher, "Grain growth in Zr–Fe thin films during in situ ion irradiation in a TEM" Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, B, 242, pages 490-493, 2005.
Publications in Progess
- D. Kaoumi, T. Gautier, “Deformation mechanisms in Ni-based Alloy 617 evidenced in-situ in a Transmission Electron Microscope”, Scripta Mater., in progress..
- D. Kaoumi, “Mechanisms of crack propagation in Ni-based alloy foils investigated in-situ in a TEM”, Journal of Materials Science & Engineering A, in progress.
- J.K. Goddard, D. Kaoumi, A. T. Motta, J. Bentley, T. Allen, M. Kirk, “Characterization and Ion Irradiation of Two ODS steels: 18Cr-ODS and 9Cr-ODS”, Journal of Nuclear Materials, in progress.