300 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208
|Links:||Visualized Structural Health Monitoring|
Dr. Lingyu Yu’s research interests include structural health monitoring (SHM) and nondestructive evaluation (NDE) using ultrasonic guided waves supported by active sensor technology, theoretical modeling, advanced signal processing and data analysis; damage diagnosis in complicated structures; scanning laser vibrometry for guided wave propagation; and mechatronics. Current research efforts include developing a multi-scale damage detection approach on composite structures, developing imaging strategies for permanently installed SHM system to perform in-situ damage detection, and exploiting advances made in other areas to introduce innovative methods into SHM/NDE.
Applications of this type of research include condition monitoring of the aircraft structures and systems, integrity monitoring of large composite structures, detecting and quantifying cracks in metal structures such as steel bridges and their subsequent propagation, corrosion growth monitoring in piping structures, and many more.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of South Carolina, 2006
- M.S., Mechatronics, Beijing Jiaotong University, China, 2001
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Beijing Jiaotong University, China, 1998
- Yu, L.; Santoni-Bottai, G.; Giurgiutiu, V. (2010) "Shear Lag Solution for Tuning Ultrasonic Piezoelectric Wafer Active Sensors with Applications to Lamb Wave Array Imaging", International Journal of Engineering Science, In press
- Yu, L.; Giurgiutiu, V. (2010), "Piezoelectric Wafer Active Sensor Guided Wave Imaging", Proceedings of SPIE, Vol. 7648, pp. 76480S
- Yu, L.; Giurgiutiu, V. (2009), "Piezoelectric Wafer Active Sensors", an invited article contributing to the Encyclopedia of Structural Health Monitoring, Vol. 3, Part 5: Sensors, pp. 1013-1027, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Yu, L.; Giurgiutiu, V. (2008) "In-situ 2-D Piezoelectric Wafer Active Sensor Arrays for Guided-Wave Damage Detection", Ultrasonics, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 117-134
- Santoni, G.B.; Yu, L.; Xu, B.; Giurgiutiu, V. (2007) "Lamb Wave-Mode Tuning of Piezoelectric Wafer Active Sensors for Structural Health Monitoring", Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 129, No. 6, pp. 752-76