Distinguished Professor Emeritus
300 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Dr. Ranson's research and interests include scale invariant computer vision applications to the measurement of mechanical systems, mathematical modeling of mechanical systems measurements to the systems life predictions application of technology to learning systems.
- Ph.D., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois, 1971
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, Auburn University, 1965
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Auburn University, 1962
- "Pipe Anchor Discontinuity Analysis Utilizing Axisymmetric Power Series Solutions, Bsssel’s Functions and Fourier Series." Nuclear Engineering and Design, August-September, 2001. (with D.K. Williams)
- "Designing With Scattered Light Photoelasticity."* SPIE, Vol. MS 158, Fall 2000 (with J.L. Turner and W.F.Swinson) *From selected papers on Photoelasticity which represent the most important contributions over the last fifty years. Sixty four papers were selected as the most important contributions to the literature.
- "Determination of Plastic Strains at Notches by Image Processing Methods." Experimental Mechanics, Vol. 29, No. 2, pp. 214-220, June 1989. (with C. Lee, Y.J. Chao, M.A.Sutton, and W.H. Peters)
- "Image Processing for Strain Measurement Under Higher Magnification." Proceedings of Workshop on Adhesion, Blacksburg, VA, May 1987.(invited)
- "Automated Ultrasonic Measuring Systems." Experimental Techniques, Jan. 1987, pp.16-19. (with C.I.Umeagukwu, W.H.Peters and J.R.Dickerson)