Jinkyu "JK" Yang
300 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Dr. Yang's research is directed towards developing advanced engineered structures through the creation of 1) novel materials systems, 2) innovative sensing and actuation devices, and 3) new NDE/SHM schemes. For more information about Dr. Yang's research, please visit the Advanced Structures Laboratory.
- Ph.D., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, 2005
- M.S., Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University, 2001
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, KAIST, 2000
- Breakthrough Rising Star Faculty Award, University of South Carolina (2013)
- Key Employee Recognition Award, Samsung Electronics Co., LTD. (2007, 2008)
- Nicholas J. Hoff Award, Stanford University (2002)
- Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholarship (2000-2002)
- Departmental Fellowship, Stanford University (2000-2001)
- F. Li, L. Zhao, Z. Tian, L. Yu, J. Yang, "Visualization of solitary waves via laser Doppler vibrometry for heavy impurity identification in a granular chain," Smart Materials and Structures, 22 035016, 2013.
- F. Li, D. Ngo, J. Yang, C. Daraio, "Tunable phononic crystals based on cylindrical Hertzian contact," Applied Physics Letter, 101:171903, 2012.
- J. Yang, S. Sangiorgio, S. Borkowski, Silvestro, L. De Nardo, C. Daraio, E. Ebramzadeh, "Site-specific quantification of bone quality using highly nonlinear solitary waves," Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 134(10): 101001, 2012, selected as 2012 Editors’ Choice paper.
- J. Yang, D. Khatri, P. Anzel, C. Daraio, "Interaction of one-dimensional granular crystals with flat plates," International Journal of Solids and Structures, 49(13): 1463–1471, 2012.
- M. Gonzalez, J. Yang, C. Daraio, M. Ortiz, "Mesoscopic approach to granular crystal dynamics," Physical Review E, 85:016604, 2012.
- J. Yang, S. Dunatunga, C. Daraio, "Amplitude-dependent attenuation of compressive waves in curved granular crystals constrained by elastic guides," Acta Mechanica. 223(3): 549–562, 2012.
- J. Yang, C. Silvestro, S. Sangiorgio, S. Borkowski, L. De Nardo, E. Ebramzadeh, C. Daraio, "Nondestructive evaluation of orthopedic implant stability in THA using highly nonlinear solitary waves," Smart Materials and Structures, Fast Track Communication, 21:012001, 2012.
- J. Yang, C. Silvestro, D. Khatri, L. De Nardo, C. Daraio, "Interaction of highly nonlinear solitary waves with elastic linear media," Physical Review E, 83: 046606, 2011.
- N. Boechler, J. Yang, G. Theocharis, P.G. Kevrekidis, C. Daraio, "Tunable vibration band gaps in one-dimensional diatomic granular crystals with three-particle unit cells," Journal of Applied Physics, 109: 074906, 2011.
- J. Yang, F. K. Chang, "Detection of bolt loosening in C-C composite thermal protection panels: I. Diagnostic principle," Smart Materials and Structures, 15: 581–590, 2006.