Yuh J. Chao
John Ducate, Sr. Professor
300 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Dr. Chao's research and interests include theoretical and experimental studies on failure, fracture and fatigue of materials and structures, welding modeling for residual stress and distortion, impact mechanics for material characterization and failure criterion, biomechanics and nanomechanics, and the durability of PEM fuel cell systems.
- Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Illinois, 1981
- M.S., National Tsing-Hwa University, Taiwan, 1977
- B.S., National Cheng-Kung University, Taiwan,1975
- John Ducate, Sr. Endowed Chair Professorship, USC, 1996-present
- Outstanding Technical Paper Award in ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Division Conference 2009, Material and Fabrication Technical Committee
- Fellow – Society of American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2006
- B.J. Lazan Award — Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2006
- Hetenyi Award — Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2003
- Fellow — Society for Experimental Mechanics, awarded 2000
- Outstanding Presentation Award at the AeroMat 2000, the 11th Advanced Aerospace Materials and Processes Conference, June 26-29, 2000, Bellevue, Washington, by ASM International
- Research Achievement Award, College of Engineering, USC, 1997
- R.E. Peterson Award — Society for Experimental Mechanics, 1996
- Research Fellow Award, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Germany, 1991
- Tong Cui, Yuh J. Chao, J. W. Van Zee, "Stress Relaxation Behavior of EPDM Seals in Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell Environment", International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, 37 (2012) 13478-13483.
- Zhong-An Chen, L.Y. Wang, Yuh-Jin Chao, Poh-Sang Lam, and X.S. Jin, "A constraint-equivalent approach for assessing fracture toughness of RPV steels under nutron irradiation", Nuclear Engineering and Design, 250 (2012) 53-59.
- Wenya Li, Zhihan Zhang, Jinglong Li, and Y. J. Chao, "Numerical Analysis of Joint Temperature Evolution During Friction Stir Welding Based on Sticking Contact", Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, ASM Internatuional, 21 Dec 2011.
- Chih-Wei Lin, Chi-Hui Chien, Jinzhu Tan, Yuh J. Chao, and J. W. Van Zee , "Chemical Degradation of Five Elastomeric Seal Materials in a Simulated and an Accelerated PEM Fuel Cell Environment", Journal of Power Source, 196(4), 2011, 1955-1966.
- Wenger, K. H., Freeman, J. D., Fulzele, S., Immel, D. M., Powell, B. D., Molitor, P., Chao, Y. J., Gao, H. S., El-Salanty, M., Hamrick, M. W., Isales, C. M. and Yu, J. C., "Effect of Whole-Body Vibration on Bone Properties in Aging Mice", Bone, volume 47, issue 4, 2010, pp. 746 – 755.