300 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Dr. Banerjee’s expertise and fundamental research interests are in the general areas of Acousto-Ultrasonic Multi-scale Imaging and Physics based Multi-scale Predictive Model for Engineering and Biological materials.
His laboratory has developed two novel techniques called a) QUIC (Quantitative Ultrasonic Image Correlation) for Engineering Materials & b) Q-ACT (Quantitative Acoustic Contrast Tomography) for Biological materials to provide useful observable parameters at the bridging scales that are essential for multi-scale predictive models (MPM) and multi-scale information migration (MIM) techniques used in material modeling, predictive damage precursor, health monitoring, biological-behavioral modeling and characterization. His primary expertise also includes ultrasonic wave modeling using Distributed Point Source Method (DPSM), ultrasonic data analysis & interpretation.
Dr. Banerjee's current research focuses are 1) Precursor/Incubation of damage prediction in Metallic Alloys, Polymer Matrix Composite (PMC) for aerospace applications and Ceramic Matrix Composites (CMC) for gas power & nuclear power applications at high temperatures using QUIC 2) Predictive multi-scale models for pathogenic colonies to predict and quantify their pathogenicity (i.e. secretion of toxin) using Q-ACT 3) Ultrasonic Guided wave based health monitoring for aerospace structures 4) Understanding ultrasonic wave field in periodic structures to design and fabricate phononic metamaterials & phononic sensors.
Dr. Banerjee's other research interests include Smart & Adaptive Structures, Material Assessment, Multifunctional Metamaterials, Health Monitoring, Characterization of Structural, Biological Materials.
- Ph.D., Engineering Mechanics (Major) & Applied Mathmatics (Minor), University of Arizona, Tucson, August 2005
- M.S., Structural Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Bombay, India
- B.S., Civil Engineering, Bengal Engineering College (D.U), India, May 2000
- Achenbach Medal to recognize the outstanding contribution as a young researcher in the field of structural health monitoring. IWSHM 2011.
- DAAD Scholar, 2001. Honored by German Academic Exchange Program Service, Germany.
- Banerjee, S., Ahmed, R., (2013) "Precursor/Incubation of Multi-scale Damage State Quantification using Hybrid Microcontinuum Field Theory and High Frequency Ultrasonic", IEEE Transaction on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectric and Frequency Control, Vol. 60, No. 6, pp. 1141-1151.
- Ahmed, R., Banerjee, S., (2013) 'Wave Propagation in Metamaterials using Multi-scale Resonators by creating Local Anisotropy", International Journal of Modern Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 51-59
- Shelke, A., Banerjee, S., Habib, A., Rahani, E.K., Ahmed, R., Kundu, T., (2013), 'Ultrasonic Wave Guiding and Wave Modulation using Phononic Crystal Defects', Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures.
- Shelke, A., Banerjee, S., Kundu, T., Amjad, U., Grill, W., (2011). "Multi Scale Damage State Estimation in Composites Using Nonlocal Kernel: An Experimental Validation", International Journal of Solids and Structures, Volume 48, Issues 7-8, April 2011, Pages 1219-1228
- Banerjee, S., Qing, X. P., Beard, S., Chang, F. K., (2009). "Prediction of Progressive Damage States at the Hot Spots using Statistical Estimation", Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, Vol 21 (6), pp.595-605
- Banerjee, S., (2009). "Estimation of Damage Sate in Materials using Nonlocal Perturbation: Application to Active Health Monitoring", JJournal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, Vol. 20, No. 10, pp. 1221-1232.
- Banerjee, S., Das, S., Kundu, T., Placko, D., (2009). "Controlled Space Radiation Concept for Mesh-Free Semi-Analytical Technique to Model Wave Fields in Complex Geometries", Ultrasonics, Vol. 49(8), pp. 615-622, 2009
- Banerjee, S., Kundu, T., (2008). "Elastic Wave Field Computation in Multilayered Non-Planar Solid Structures: A Mesh-free Semi-Analytical Approach", Journal of Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 123 (3),pp. 1371-1382
- Banerjee, S., Kundu, T., (2007). "Ultrasonic Field Modeling in Plates Immersed in Fluids", International Journal of solids and Structures. Vol. 44, Issues 18-19, September 2007, Pages 6013-6029.
- Banerjee, S., Kundu, T., (2006). "Elastic Wave Propagation in Sinusoidally Corrugated Wave Guides", Journal of Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 119 (4), pp. 2006-2017