The University of South Carolina’s General Education Requirements include a provision that to graduate from USC a student must demonstrate the ability to comprehend a foreign language. This can be demonstrated in one of the following ways:
- Score a 2 or higher on the foreign language placement test.
- Complete the first two semester of a traditional foreign language (Latin, French, German or Spanish).
- Complete the first course in a non-traditional foreign language (Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian and Swahili).
- Complete one course beyond items 2 or 3.
- Transfer the equivalent of items 2 or 3 from an accredited institution.
Note: The Department of Languages, Literature, and Cultures administrators the foreign languages test. Information about test dates can be found here.